Both the yellow and Western red cedars have natural extractives which makes them durable against bio degradation and wood damaging insects and organisms. Carefully designed and well-crafted cedar products are known for their durability and decades long service with minimal maintenance. Due to their adaptability and versatility, these cedars are used for a wide variety of applications including cladding, decking, saunas, and spas, besides roofing, roof shingles, pergolas, and gazebos.
Not every wood is a good choice for the outdoors as it must withstand harsh climates such as humidity, heat, and
damp conditions etc. that can affect the performance and life of wood and wood products differently.
is one of the most durable wood species with exceptional longevity. The trees grow slowly at high altitudes and require over 200 years to reach a harvestable stage. It is a beautiful wood that is stable and durable.
Unique properties of Yellow cedar:
- it is easy to work with including planning, mortising, gluing, and nailing.
- Contains extractives, making it naturally termite and decay resistant. These properties, combined with its durability make it ideal for endless outdoor applications. It is also used for making door/windows and door/window systems, where durability is required.
- It has excellent strength-to-weight-ratio and compares favourably with popular tropical species in terms of strength, durability, and stability.
- Similarly, it scores over many traditional tropical species in terms of stiffness
- lt turns, planes and shapes very well and can be sanded to a smooth surface finish.
- Easy to edge glue, paint, stain, or coat with a clear finish.
Applications: Gazebo, pergola, outdoor furniture, doors, door frames and window systems, decking and cladding apart from machine or hand carved solid doors.
WESTERN RED CEDAR
is a unique species that makes great outdoor furniture and has admirable properties to bravely withstand the outdoor elements. It is naturally resistant to decay, mould, and a variety of termites. Because of its natural decay resistance, the wood from dead red cedar trees in forest has been found good even after 100 years for making reman products.
Unique properties of Western red cedar:
- Has excellent durability, dimensional stability, and water resistance.
- Resists splintering admirably well.
- No chemical treatment is necessary for its use in outdoors. If the product is well made it can even do without a wood coating, just simply turns silver-grey over a period. However, depending on individual preference, water or oil-based coatings are widely used to retain its natural warm hue and keep the products looking fresh.
Applications: Pergolas, gazebos, decking, cladding, facades, garden furniture, fences, roof shingles. Fll promotes five distinct Canadian wood species from B.C. Canada in the overseas markets including India. In addition to the two above mentioned cedar species they are: Western hemlock, Douglas-fir and Spruce-Pine-Fir. Each of these species are suitable for a wide range of indoor and outdoor applications. Not to mention that these are all legally harvested from the certified and sustainably managed forests of B.C., Canada. All Canadian wood species are exported across the world as lumber (sawn timber) that is duly graded, sized, and seasoned — in almost ready to use condition. These are freely available pan India from 42 Stockists in 23 cities, as per requirement of the customers.
Canadian Wood, participated in the Index Fair Mumbai 2023 exhibition. The expo took place at the Jio Convention Centre, BKC, Mumbai from 26th to 28th May 2023. Index Fair is one of India's largest international trade fair that has been showcasing interior products and services for the last 30-plus years. The expo is held every year in different cities and brings together buyers and suppliers in a relaxed environment.
Canadian Wood, showcased its high-quality, sustainably-managed wood species at the expo. A range of interior and outdoor furniture was on display, including bedroom furniture, living furniture, island kitchen, bar cabinet, dining area, lumber wall, solid wood door, glass door, stain walls, and louvers screen. It also featured outdoor furniture collection, which included wooden bench, pergola, and outdoor seating area.
Canadian Wood's participation in the exhibition is part of the company's ongoing efforts to promote the sustainability and versatility of its five distinct species of wood, viz. Douglas-fir, Western hemlock, Western red cedar, Yellow cedar and Spruce-Pine-Fir (S-P-F). Through its participation in the exhibition, the company aimed to showcase the endless design possibilities that its wood species offer, and B.C., Canada’s sustainable forest management practices.
Additionally, Canadian Wood participated in a panel discussion on the topic: ‘Furniture for the Future’ on May 27 at Index Fair, where Mr. Pranesh Chhibber, Country Director of Canadian Wood, was one of the panelists along with other industry stalwarts. The discussion provided attendees with insights into the latest trends in furniture design and the role of sustainable materials in the furniture industry.